Walter McKenzie to Colin McKenzie 6th March 1921






12 Marchmont Rd
Edinburgh

6th March 1921

My Dear Colin

I was pleased to get your letter during the week and to see you had a good holiday at Redcliffe. Thank Mr Gibbs for the photos. We are not doing any photography just now as it is useless during the winter time here. We are now getting into Spring although we had snow yesterday morning but it soon melted away. The days are also getting much longer, the sun rising at 6.58am and setting at 5.52pm.

In my last letters I told you what I thought of the country and I am still of the same opinion and I am not sorry to be here as we are now getting into summer.

We are going to start a poultry farm sometime but as houses are so scarce and everything at it's (sic) worst we are waiting until things right themselves a bit and mainly because we want the "dough". I wish they would deal with houses a& land as they do in Qld instead of the old fashioned idea of feu-duty & ground annuals & c.

The cost of living is coming down now so we will be getting into better times soon I hope.

I told you I had an abscess in my cheek well I am still attending the Infirmary but hope to be discharged this week. This is all my news at present.

Your loving brother 

Walter

Note from Alex: Colin has marked top left hand corner of letter with Ansd 21/4/21

Comments

mozie said…
Hi - great to read these entries - and wonderful that you have taken the time to document the McKenzie story.
I have just come across a book of photo album marked 'Logie Bank' Dolphinton.
Photo date to early 1900s - 1902 to 1907.
When I search for this address online I found a postcard addressed to Colin McKenzie at the above. Dated May 18th 1904.
Might there be a connection ?
Kind Regards
Malc
TeeBee said…
Hi Mozie, do you still have the album of Logiebank? I have some interesting info.
mozie said…
Hi - yes, its in our store room - from memory its a stunning collection.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Malc
malc@malcolmlindsay.com
mozie said…
Any update?
Thanks
Malc

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme