Walter McKenzie to Colin McKenzie 10 June 1920

  If you've just tuned in to the McKenzie story, you may want to read the introductory post here.


Postcard with four views of Adelaide, including: Jubilee Exhibition ; Cathedral ; Botanical Gardens. Gift; Mrs E. M. Derrick; 1984. http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/174892

RMS "Ormonde"
2 days from Colombo
10 June 1920

My Dear Colin

We are now into hot weather.  I wrote to you last from Adelaide enclosing the transfer which I hope you got safely.  We were not supposed to call there at all but as we had engine trouble we put in there for two days and left at 7am in the morning.  We were making good pace until 11:30 the same morning when something went wrong with the other engine this time so we had to turn round and make our way back to Adelaide which we reached about 4pm the same day.  There was another large boat at Adelaide at the same time & the crew of it gave us a great welcome back.  Asked us if we wanted a pull & c.  However after staying there for 2 days more we sailed again at 4pm arrived safely at Fremantle on Thursday morning about 2am and started taking cargo & mails at once.  We had a walk through Fremantle & bought some fruit & sailed again at 12 noon same day.  It was quick work so we could not get into Perth.  I think Brisbane is as good as any of the Australian towns I have seen.  There is more method & brians about Brisbane than any of the other towns except Adelaide.  Adelaide is a well planned town although it has not many decent buildings except the Govt Bldgs which are all in one street.  Then the Botanical Gardens exceed any I have seen.  They are a long way before Sydney or Brisbane.  We have a large crowd on board in fact.  I believe we have more than what is allowed.  I have not heard the exact figure but there are cabins numbered up to 1122 in the 3rd class alone & I hear that there are up to 12 in an 8 berth cabin.  Children having to go 2 in one bunk which is a disgrace in this hot weather.  We had a death on board the night before last.  It was a french lady died of pneumonia so the boat was stopped & it was buried at sea.  The food is very midling (sic) although not bad.  It is a case of eat what you want & leave the rest.  

I am in a six berth cabin & am on the bottom bunk under the porthole.  If I had picked any cabin out of all the 3rd class I don't think I could have done better.  I think this is all my news at present.

Walter

PS Remember me to the lot at "Strathfield" especially Mrs Reeve. W

Four people on steps of Palm House, [Adelaide Botanic and Zoological gardens, South Australia, 1920]Copyright expired oai:espace.library.uq.edu.au:UQ:136186 
Note from Alex: supporting pictures have been found through searching Trove, courtesy of the National Library of Australia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme